Tips and
netiquette for emailing in English
* Add a subject that
is short but specific (e.g., "Exchange project", “A question about class”, “Requesting your assistance”)
* Formal emails for work or to teachers should start with "Dear
Mr. /Ms. /Dr. /Prof. (last name),". Add a space after "Mr.", "Dr." etc. and a comma after the name (Not: Mr.Prichard Corrected: Mr. Prichard,). In informal emails to friends or people your age, you can say "Hi
(first name),". (For example, Hi Caleb,)
* If you know the person,
you may want to start with small talk.
>Ask a general
question ("How are you? / How have you been? How was your break?") or
a specific question ("How was your trip to Guam?").
>You can
also mention what you have been up to - "I had a great break, but I'm
excited about the semester starting.")
**Compared to Japanese, Westerners
are less likely talk about the weather or ask about their health.
* If the person does not
know you, introduce your background (e.g., "This is Asami Tanaka. I'm a
student in your class." "This is Asami Tanaka. I'm your exchange partner.")
* If you are replying to a message, thank the sender for the email and respond to all the questions.
* If you are replying to a message, thank the sender for the email and respond to all the questions.
* Email messages should be
short, specific, and organized. Paragraphs are shorter, not indented (put a
blank line between two paragraphs).
* If you are sending a link to a webpage, like your blog, select a word with your mouse, click the link button on paste the URL. The link should look like this: "Please check out my blog here. I would appreciate your comments!"
* If you are sending a link to a webpage, like your blog, select a word with your mouse, click the link button on paste the URL. The link should look like this: "Please check out my blog here. I would appreciate your comments!"
* At the end of the message, it is nice to wish the person a nice day, weekend, semester, etc., and/or thank the
person. "Thanks so much for this. Have a nice weekend!"
* In
formal emails, first write “Sincerely,” or "Regards," on a new line (with comma). In informal emails, write "Thanks," "See you," or "Cheers,".
* Write your name at the end (First name only for informal emails and first name and then last name for formal emails.)
* Check
your spelling and grammar for formal emails!
* Don't
use emoticons, like (*o*) or emoji 😆, or web lingo ("LOL", "WTF?") in formal emails.
********************************
Good formal email example
********************************
Dear Mr. Prichard,
This is Asami Tanaka, a student in your class. I hope you had a nice weekend!
I'm writing because I have a question about my assignment. How many pages should it be? Also, can you remind me of the deadline?
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Asami Tanaka
*****************************
Poor example
*****************************
Dear Mr.Prichard
I hope you are healthy.
How many pages should the essay be?
Also, can you remind me of the deadline?
Sorry to bother you.
Asami
*****************************
Terrible example (no greeting, poor spelling, no name in English, no space between paragraph)
*****************************
Sensei.
Tell me how many paig for essai.
When can I give? I am late. Pleaz accept.
Sorry to disturb you. --田中麻美
Asami
********************************
Good informal email example
********************************
Hey Caleb,
How are things? I am doing well. I am excited because I am taking a trip to Okinawa soon!
I have a question about my assignment. How many pages should it be? Also, can you remind me of the deadline?
Finally, please check out my blog here. I would appreciate your comments!
Finally, please check out my blog here. I would appreciate your comments!
Thanks!