We have finished the first unit on writing stories, and most students did a very good job! I will check them and give comments and my grade/feedback. Remember what we practiced, because some of these skills are related to other writing tasks and telling entertaining stories in conversation is a great way for making connections with others.
(Write to explain how to do something)
You are going to teach the class how to do something. You will write a paragraph and share it with the class (due in 3 or 4 weeks - the beginning of term 2). The goal is to teach classmates very thoroughly about how to do something that is useful for them.
Brainstorm a topic. Choose something:
1) you already know well (OR something you want to learn and can research about)
2) useful for the class to learn (good writers consider the audience when writing; the classmates will read each essay in their group and vote for the best).
For the sample essay that I will soon show you, I chose the topic How to Change a Baby's Diaper. I chose the topic because I have 4 children and I have changed thousands of baby diapers!! I am an expert!! Also, most students plan to have children someday, and most have never changed a diaper before. (I have asked many students before.) Therefore, though it is a bit silly, it is actually a very useful topic based on the 2 criteria listed above!

Remember, the essay does not have to be something you do well, as long as there is a place you can learn about it AND you are very interested in learning how to do it yourself. WikiHow is a great source. They have thousands of articles about how to do many things.
1. Please brainstorm topics
2. Analyze my example essay.
Absent? Analyze it here.
3. See my comments here.
NEXT WEEK'S CLASS IS ONLINE!
When the class is face-to-face, here are the slides: Practice
Homework: write a blog post and check & respond to the blogs of your group.
REMINDER: You have the option to make your blog more private.
Some students want their blog to be more private, while other would be happy if their blog becomes famous. Both ways of thinking are okay! In fact, usually, only classmates can see your blog, but if you want to make it private follow these steps.
1. Go to your dashboard > settings > and unclick the option to have your blog visible to search engines. Example is here.
2. Very rarely spammers (bots) will try to make comments on your blog. (This happened to one student.) It is spam, but it should not be a problem as long as you ignore spam (don't click). However, if you want, you can make it so only your group members can comment on your blog. If you want to do this, please email me for instructions.
No comments:
Post a Comment